14 Free Family-Friendly Things To Do In Houston
By: The Kid’s Directory Family Resource Guide – Houston
May 2023 on www.kids-houston.com
14 Free Family Friendly Things To Do!
The Kid’s Directory knows how important it is to spend time with family, so we found 14 free family friendly things to do in Houston. You can spend the day in the park with a picnic lunch, enjoy outdoor performances, visit museums, explore the outdoors full of activities & adventures and so much more.
We hope you will enjoy our list of the 14 free family friendly things to do as much as we do!
1. Houston Museum of Natural Science: On Thursdays from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM, general admission to the permanent exhibit halls is free for everyone.
2. Houston Museum of Fine Arts: General admission to the museum’s permanent collection is free every day. They also offer free family programs and activities.
3. Miller Outdoor Theatre: Enjoy free performances of music, dance, theater, and movies at this outdoor venue located in Hermann Park. Check their schedule for family-friendly events.
4. Houston Public Library: Visit any branch of the Houston Public Library system for free access to books, educational programs, story times, and other family-friendly events.
5. Discovery Green: This urban park in downtown Houston offers free events and activities throughout the year, including concerts, movie screenings, and interactive installations.
6. Buffalo Bayou Park: Explore this beautiful park with walking and biking trails, picnic areas, and a playground. Enjoy scenic views and free access to nature.
7. Houston Arboretum and Nature Center: Admission to the nature center and trails is free. Families can go on self-guided nature walks, attend educational programs, and explore the diverse ecosystems.
8. Hermann Park: Discover the Japanese Garden, pedal boats, a miniature train, and the McGovern Centennial Gardens—all for free. You can also bring your own picnic and enjoy a day in the park.
9. Menil Collection: This art museum offers free admission to its collection of modern and contemporary art, including works by renowned artists such as Picasso and Warhol.
10. Waugh Bridge Bat Colony: Witness the spectacle of thousands of bats emerging from under the Waugh Drive Bridge at dusk. It’s a fascinating and educational experience for children. Not only did Waugh Bridge Bat Colony make our 14 free family friendly things to do list, but it is batastic!
11. Levy Park: This urban park offers a playground, splash pad, picnic areas, and free events and activities throughout the year, including concerts and yoga classes.
12. Art Car Museum: Admission is free at this unique museum showcasing elaborately decorated and modified vehicles. Kids will enjoy the colorful and imaginative displays.
13. Waterwall Park: Visit this iconic Houston landmark where a 64-foot semi-circular fountain creates a cascading water wall. It’s a great spot for family photos and picnics.
14. NASA Johnson Space Center: While general admission is not free, families can still visit the Space Center for free by enjoying the interactive exhibits, astronaut talks, and outdoor attractions without purchasing a ticket to the guided tram tour or special exhibits.
Note: Some of the 14 free family friendly things to do attractions may have limited free access or specific free admission days/hours, so it’s always a good idea to check their websites or contact them beforehand for the most up-to-date information.
The Kid’s Directory is Houston & the surrounding areas most respected trusted family resource guide that can ease your life. It covers all the different activities available for families with children of all ages. Ranging from activities, spring/summer & winter camps, academics, pediatricians, dentists, therapy, events to sports, other cognitive activities and more.
© The Kid’s Directory. Accessing this content you agree to our disclaimer/terms & conditions.
VIEW OUR SEPTEMBER 2023 ISSUE
SEPTEMBER ISSUE FEATURES:
Back to School & Field Trip Guide
Past monthly editions are available in the archive.